Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Girls Camp, really?

Is it camping when you sleep in a cabin, and eat in a lodge? I just returned from the annual camp kick off with my three teen daughters one and and half hours of kumbaya! This years theme is "walking on sunshine", as opposed to last year "project runway". Both really cute theme's and I don't want to disrespect all the hard work that goes into girls camp, I was camp director for three years myself. I guess my issue really is why not teach the girls some real life survival skills. My husband is the 1st counselor in young men's, this means lots and lots of camping! Like 12 camp outs a year minimum including snow camping! Yuck, are you kidding me? But I do get it, great skills to have if you needed it right. I mean isn't that why we are here as youth leaders, to get these kids prepped for anything life may throw at them. It got me reflecting on the sad story a few years back The Kim family from San Francisco, he was a host of C-Net. He and his wife and two daughters got lost on a snowy back road in Oregon...long story short he died trying to find help for his family. The wife and kids survived, so sad. I've never forgotten that story, and when Keil mentioned "oh yeah we're going on a snow camp" the thought of that family crossed my mind. Good skills, learning how to survive in the worst conditions. Here's my issue with girl's camp, why not kick it up a notch? I know they pass off the basic skills, but really it's a right of passage for LDS girls. It's feel good, faith promoting weekend. I'm all for those experiences like EFY, but why not put some emphasis on real world survival skills. When I was a teenager I loved the terminator movies (yeah I watched "R" rated movies, blame my parents they loved Arnold as much as I did. I even had a picture of him on my dressing mirror, weird!), one thing about the movies that I really loved was the mom "Sarah Connor". She rocked, and to a 12 year old girl, she was my hero. I'm not suggesting teaching them, fight to the death skills or ATM hacking. It just seems silly to me to not utilize all the amazing knowledge and resources that the church has in place for the boys. Aren't we really as parents and leaders providing an education for the youth, with all the emphasis on the young men's programs and scouting sometimes I think the girls get overlooked. I'm not proposing to do away with the traditional girls camp. We all look forward to singing the 21 verses of "Father Abraham", and the silly skits, the great testimonies that are born. It's wonderful, but let's not pretend it's "Camping"! Oh I know some of you stake's out there are in tents, I've done that too! So why not just kick in a few real camping experiences during the years as well, nothing crazy just one or two real roughing it, hands on "this is what you do if you are in the middle of nowhere and your car breaks down, or you get lost, or heaven forbid kidnapped and left in the middle of heck's half acre" type of experiences. Can we just slow down and evaluate the inequality of real skills and knowledge that is being passed down to the boys verses the girls? Let's empower our young women too, with some serious survival skills, as well as the crafts and skits in a bag!

No comments:

Post a Comment