Friday, February 26, 2010

Prop 8 and all the hate

Today I was reading one of my favorite blogs, she was quipping about all the recent unfriendly chatter she was getting over her most recent post. So I read a few of the comments which I rarely do, mainly because I don't like being pulled mentally in the tug-o-war of "what I think she was inferring to was...". It just stresses me out. I make my own judgment call and I'm OK with that. Life is already hard enough, isn't it? Back on topic here, one of the things that bothered me was how so many people start smack talking Mormons about gay marriage it just seems to always come up anytime a Mormon professes to be a practicing Mormon. I think the secular world just lumped us into the hater's club without really asking the hard questions. So here's my take for what it's worth. I work in the fashion industry and always have in some degree since I was 16 and had my first job at the village sewing center in Santa Rosa, Ca. So in my almost 37 years on this earth I have had many dear friends who are gay. I've been there with them through the challenge of coming out, the sadness of break-ups, the loss of a loved one and all of life's other crazy ups and downs just like hetero-sexuals, it's no different. It's the same for gay or straight life is hard, life is good, we all hurt and hopefully we get better. In my church we are first and foremost taught to pattern our life after our saviors and accept him as such, the Savior of our souls (some such as mine need more saving than others). When I study the new testament the underlying tone of Christ's ministry was love, and especially love for those who are outcast, who no-one will associate with. Jesus was an activist for human right his love knew no boundaries, it's for all. Often I remind my children to forgive those who hurt them, it was Jesus final message to us. So we must practice what we preach as Christians and love all of God's children as ourselves, that is such a deep concept to consider loving someone else as much as we love and hold our own life sacred. With respect to gay marriage, I feel certain of God's love for me and all of his children whether gay or straight. I also feel that being a good Christian means not whoring around (sorry I'm sure to offend, it just comes so naturally), so that means marriage to one person for your whole life (unless he or she is a loser, another post...). Here's where the whole thing gets tricky though and I can't say this is the view of my church but it's my view and I have never had the chance to ask the Prophet what he thinks of my beliefs. I believe that two people in love deserve the same rights no matter what their orientation is. I believe they should have a legal and binding commitment if they choose to. If you are a gay Mormon you still have to abide by all the same regulations and rules in the bible. So if you are gay and active LDS you have to be celibate unless you want to marry a woman and ruin both your lives, I've seen it happen and end in a tragic way. It's tough (to be alone and single) and I don't think I could do it. I would long for companionship and love. It would be similar to being a monk. I do know LDS men and women who are gay and just remain single, it is possible. I find it heartbreaking and noble at the same time. I do believe in legal gay unions and I think it ridiculous to think otherwise. If two adults are in love and want to show the world of their commitment and devotion to each other in a wedding ceremony and in a legal way I say Yeah, for monogamy! Can't we all get behind that kind of devotion? How could anyone feel that a couple who have been together for 20 years don't deserve all the same rights and privileges as a straight couple when they are sick and in the hospital. It's nonsense, remember we are to love others as ourselves. The issue is that our church as well as the catholic church and other conservative traditional churches adhere to the strict doctrines of the bible and it doesn't allow for a gay marriage within it's confines. Yep, you cannot marry in our temple if you are gay, it's just the facts. Does that mean I don't love and adore you, no and God loves you too! You'll have to get married at the court house. Is life UNFAIR, ask me about the herniated disk in my neck(long story). I think God is pure genius he created the amazing place for us to be and learn and grow and he told us it would really suck (my words not his) at times but it was the only way for us to become better and more like him, it had to be really hard. Life is just one big fat test and in the end all we leave with is the memories of this experience and what we got from it, did we serve, did we love, did we follow the example of his son our Savior and Redeemer? Yea life is not fair, some people are born with physical disabilities others are born looking like Brad Pitt. Even if life is unfair, God is not. He knows the struggles of mankind he and he alone can and will judge and have no fear he will be fair.

2 comments:

  1. I think it is pretty lame how people are so vile about our (the LDS) Church. People are quick to be rude and are so intolerant of other people's beliefs - it's pretty sad. Can't we all express our beliefs and RESPECT each other?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like your thoughts on this issue. I support the church's right 100% to determine who is eligible to be married in the temple, chapel, etc.. A lot of people feel like the church used prop 8 as a weapon to attack them. Of course, the church says this isn't true, and that it loves everyone. What causes the discrepancy? Let's just say that actions speak louder than words, and the actions both during and after the campaign continue to be troubling.

    ReplyDelete